The VDS/VMS Officer provides an important supporting role to the VDS Manager to ensure effective and efficient administration of the VDS.
As the PNAO is a small organisation, this position is suited to a person with a hands-on approach. The position holder would, from time to time, be expected to participate in a range of administrative duties as part of the office team, which will include regional travel.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist in the management and administration of the VDS.
- Ensure accurate reporting of vessel activity under the VDS, including non-fishing days.
- Effective support for vessel registration.
- Support the VDS Manager on routine VDS Program administrative matters.
- Monitor Vessel MTU, FAD Buoy alerts and reporting status in FIMS on a daily basis.
- Investigate and correct any VDS Data discrepancy.
- Liaise with Parties and fishing industry and resolve MTUs issues when MTUs are not reporting.
- Review, verify, and update manual positional data in PNA FIMS to correct any VDS data discrepancies.
- Maintain an updated FIMS Licensed Vessels List.
- Conduct country visits, hands-on-training, workshops, and provide VDS technical support to National Programs under the different arrangements (FSMA, UST, and Pooling), including e-Reporting.
- Manage PNA Inmarsat C DNID, Argos, Thorium, and Faria Activation.
- Support Fishing Industry on iFIMS Web and android app applications.
- Test new developments in PNA FIMS and FIMS and provide recommendations as necessary.
- Liaise with FIMS Inc on development of new modules.
- Support Fishing Industry on iFIMS Web and android app applications and POA on e-Obs reporting issues.
- Support Parties on NFD, e-Log and e-Obs reporting issues.
- Manage user access in FIMS and respond to any FIMS/ VDS queries.
- Support non-PNA UST users on FIMS VDS.
- Report to Parties, at the Annual and Special PNA meetings, on VDS PS & LL administrative matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CEO or the VDS Manager.
High School diploma or equivalent
- Training qualification as fishery officer/observer.
- Training in IT or relevant subject area.
- Relevant degree (desirable)
- A minimum of two-years' experience in VDS administration at Party level.
- Experience in the operation of databases, spreadsheets, word processing, and reporting systems.
- High level computer operating skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
The successful applicant will be offered a three-year contract with a comprehensive renumeration package with the possibility of extension.